It’s been a long, long time since I’ve done any applique work, but what better reason to brush up on applique skills than a new baby granddaughter? 

For the past few months, I’ve been collecting patterns and fabric that would be suitable for baby girl dresses.  Today was the day to let the sewing begin!

 

I started off with three small cuts of coordinating fabric and one New Look pattern.

These fabrics are 100% cotton coordinates from Riley Blake. I had one yard of the dark pink floral, but just one quarter yard of each of the other two.  I had to do some real maneuvering to get all of the pieces out of those quarter yard cuts even though I was making the dress in the newborn size.

 

 

The pattern I chose was New Look 6793.  I paid $2.49 for the pattern.  When I buy an expensive pattern, I always trace the smaller sizes onto tissue paper.  I didn’t do that this time.

This pattern was very quick and easy to put together.  I’m sure that without the applique and some piecing that I had to do because I didn’t have enough fabric, I could have completed the sundress in under an hour.  This took me just over two hours to complete.

The flower applique pattern was included in the pattern.  I like the way the shape of the applique matches the shape of some of the flowers in the fabric.

I am fairly certain that I will be doing more applique in the next few years, so I will have to continue to brush up on my techniques. 

 

Overall, I’m very pleased with this little sundress.  I hope Aaliyah likes it!